Monday, October 4, 2010

Storytelling Still Matters

The reading for this week was very technical.  So I am not sure what to write about...

The top things that matter for web production:

1. Compression - I am not sure I fully grasp compression - but I know it impacts everything on the web.  SO I have on my list of things to learn today what is compression. (As it applies to the web and videos).

2.  Lighting is everything and the autofocus is bad.  I have been a fairly good photographer thanks to the autofocus and I am devastated by this realization.  What will we do!!!   I guess I need to add to my list for today learn about lighting as well

3.   Know your equipment.  Know you equipment, know your equipment, know your equipment.

4.  A good tripod is everything.

5.   Tight shots are better than panning shots

6.  The background provides clues for the viewer so think about your background.

7.  Plan ahead / and plan your shots.

8.  Shoot everything - it is better to have to cut rather than recreate.

9.  And a good video is only as strong as your story.  


The interview with Barry Braverman was very interesting as well:

He states: "storytelling is your first order of business ... should drive all other decisions".... This reinforces all of the literature we have read thus far.

I decided to watch a few videos on youtube - which may have been a form of procrastination - but when you apply the Braverman article to these videos it all makes sense.  The videos I do not like are too busy and I am anxious from the activity and the films I get the most from are cleaner - withholding too much stimulus.  He again reinforces the need for good lighting and planning your shot.

It is interesting because many videos on youtube seem to be accidental - and when you apply the principles outlined in this text you realize how well (or how poorly) they constructed.

I will add an additional post tonight with some websites.

I am blogging on my sisters computer while we sit vigil by my dad's hospital bed and I do not have my computer with the videos bookmarked.  No worries - he is improving - I think.  I am looking forward to reading your thoughts!

3 comments:

  1. Well, darn, Reed, now I feel like I also can't summarize the reading. I shouldn't have read your post first. I know exactly what you mean about the youtube videos so it was definitely interesting to hear the technical reasons for WHY some of these videos drive me barking mad (aside from the fact that my husband is a youtube addict and has possibly watched every single Star Wars derivative out there). The most interesting ones are often instructional videos just because they rarely try anything too fancy. That said, I'll leave you with my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_uzUh1VT98. Sure, there's a bit of handheld camera shake going on but they keep the scenes simple/pertinent and avoid the trap of panning and fancy camera angles.

    I hope your dad is continuing to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - I loved this video... I wonder where i can fit it into my composition classes. I was going to post this video again - outube.com/watch?v=_A-ZVCjfWf8 - which is the vision of K-12 students today. Which is good for the steady camera angle - but it does have a lot of movement - which may be okay since there is not a busy background.

    Loved the video - who knew librarians had such a sense of humor :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, the video cracked me up. WOW. And after attempting to do a podcast, I really appreciate the time it must have taken them to not only record the sound, but also to record the video. Incredible.

    Reed, your response was much like how I felt after reading this week. I finished and was like, "Okay, now what?" It was much more instructional than theoretical this week.

    But you're right, if we've learned anything in this class, then we've learned to STORYTELL. Everyone agrees that this is the best way to get your points across.

    ReplyDelete