Design to Thrive: Dr. Howard
I must begin by stating how compelling Hiltz and Turoff’s predictions are. They are a cause for pause, but then I wonder if they are so compelling because we have a platform to connect them to. Nonetheless, it is pretty amazing that technology exists that fulfills the visions of the 1976 Network Nation.
The other component of this chapter is Dr. Howard’s future implications of social institutions. He begins the discussion defining copyright and then moves on to question who has rights to intellectual property, virtual identities and purchasing identities. For me the most challenging component of his questions are related to the impact of social communities. When he states: “the question here will not be whether we really want anybody to create communities that can undermine established social, religious, governmental, and economic structures” (218). It is presumed that we want communities to be able to undermine established communities as indicated by the use of Twitter in Teheran. These platforms provide the common man a voice in an age of uncertainty. Is this a good thing? Perhaps so – perhaps not.
Dr. Howard also poses will the educational and professional institutions be able to keep pace with the advances in technology? From my perspective, I think we are failing at this point. As evidenced in our Webinar last week, we were all surprised to learn that Twitter is used for more than inane posts from people who have too much time on their hands. I called my older brother (in Afghanistan) on the drive home last week to see if he uses Twitter. I honestly thought he was at home in Virginia and would not have bothered him had I realized his current location. His job it to build and maintain the computers to support the military’s communication throughout the world. I wanted to tell him about using Twitter, Elsiever, and LinkedIn. Other than being irritated with my untimely call, he said he is on LinkedIn but does not tweet. I asked why not, and he said he did not have the time to tweet. It seems to me he should be participating in the conversation about technology of our homeland security if he is one of the people using the designated the technology in the field. He has been in his profession for 20 years and stays current within his field but had not thought about Twitter as an outlet to learn and educate others about the usability of the software they are creating. I suspect when he gets my step by step directions of how to tweet (in the developmental phase) he will become a participant in the discussions that pertains to his profession. BUT – he would not be inclined to engage in this social community, if I were not asking him about it for the next few weeks or months. I think he is still skeptical – and will remain skeptical until he finds someone participating in the conversations, that agrees with his ideas, and has an impressive resume on LinkedIn. (Provided he is willing to go to the measures describe in the Webinar).
I do not think institutions or educational systems grasp the technological potential the internet and social communities offer. Because if we go back to the statement “the question here will not be whether we really want anybody to create communities that can undermine established social, religious, governmental, and economic structures”. Is the only thing preventing a social uprising from happening the lack of technological training of the average person with access to technology.? Our current educational practices are not preparing our students (future citizens) to handle technology appropriately because of the generational divide among those using the technology and those instructing them. The instructors are not familiar enough with the technology to protect their students or themselves. And I cannot imagine a content teacher willing to forgo teaching an “essential” element to accommodate the demands of their content drive curriculum.
Reed,
ReplyDeleteGreat point when you write, "I do not think institutions or educational systems grasp the technological potential the internet and social communities offer." I definitely think you're correct there. I think another point to add here, on the educational system's side of things, is that most don't have the funds to support this. Granted, I know things like Twitter don't take money, but they do take time and attention to learn. Considering you're a teacher, would you take the time to learn something if you weren't getting paid any extra to do it? When it all boils down to it, everything goes back to money. Schools support what they have the funds to support, and I don't know about you, but I've heard many more stories of people donating to the arts or sciences than people donating to technology. I'm not saying one is more important than the other, but technology definitely shouldn't be overlooked. When you consider the U.S. in comparison to places like Japan (Jessica mentioned this in her post last week), we're already way behind.
I think you bring up a good point about technology in schools. And I agree with Lindsay that schools simply do not have the funding for technology like this. However, I think some schools are using that as a cop-out (no offense Lindsay...I do see it as a valid point that our schools surely are not receiving enough money to adequately teach tomorrow's adults). What I mean when I say they are using that as a cop-out is that many schools block social networking sites from their internet servers so the students could not learn to use them appropriately even if the teachers wanted to teach them. For example, my future mother-in-law is a librarian at an elementary school and she can't even access social networking sites. She does her best to teach them how to use the internet appropriately (as do the other teachers in school, seeing as how they all have at least a few computers in their classrooms), but how are they supposed to teach these students how to use social networking appropriately? These students, if they haven't already, will be using social networking fairly soon and I have seen more than my fair share of young teenagers and soon-to-be teenagers join facebook and the things they allow the world to see is enough to scare their mother (trust me, I work with her and had to help her set her children's facebook privacy levels). I realize some of this teaching should be done by the parents, but how are they supposed to teach the children if they themselves are learning the new technologies?
ReplyDelete